Over the past three years I have been collecting failed hard drives from our large NAS with the intention of making something with them. Inspired by the Hard Drive Rose bouquet I bought off etsy last year, I decided I wanted to make a light. After a recent rash of drive failures and some downtime at the office, I took to disassembling the drives. Since my initial idea is to suspend the platters, I took the time to pre drill holes in each stack during disassembly.
I’m not sure what I’m going to do with all of this yet, but check back soon. On a side note, half the drives were mechanical (bearing, motor, reader) failures, the other half were software related. I’ve opted to use the electronic/software failure drives due to how dirty most of the mechanical failures make the disks.